Monday, March 11, 2013

Why this blog?

In November of 2012, I ordered a practice chanter and plunged into the process of learning the bagpipes. I love the Latter-day Saint Hymns and have a strong interest in playing many of them on the pipes. Nobody will be playing the hymns on pipes during sacrament meetings. But the emotion and powerful sound of bagpipes combine in spectacular ways with many of these hymns.

A great resource for LDS pipers is 16 hymns in the Nauvoo Pipe Band Repertoire. But searches for most other hymns reveals a very limited selection of available LDS Hymns. I assume there are other pipers out there who would appreciate having access to more LDS Hymns. I have therefore begun to arrange hymns and post them here. I will post them as I finish them. Many hymns just don't go well on pipes. But I hope some of the hymns I arrange and post on this site will be helpful to those who find meaning in playing these sacred tunes on the Great Highland Bagpipes.

2 comments:

  1. On Come, Come, Ye Saint on the third verse. The sheet music has a high g gracenote on a high g which isn't right. Which grace note should we place instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using an "f" grace note instead. I think that is what the writer probably meant to put there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete